Home > Help for Families > Caring For Your Child > Finances > Grant Funding > Other Sources of Financial Help

Other Sources of Financial Help

Other sources of help and where to go for information.... 

Community Care Grants from the DWP Social Fund  

These are available if you are in receipt of Income Support, income related JSA, income based JSA or Pension Credit and need help purchasing items that you cannot afford from your benefits such as bedding, clothing, white goods, safety items.  You can also apply for assistance with fares to visit a child in hospital.  You can apply for a CCG by completing an SF500 form.  This is available from your Jobcentre Plus office or you can download a form from the directgov website at www.direct.gov.uk

Family Fund

Grants from the Family Fund can be paid to help relieve some of the stress of looking after a disabled child under 18.  The Family Fund specialises in providing funding for laundry equipment, driving lessons for you, clothing and holidays.  They can be contacted on 0845 130 4542.  Their website address is: www.familyfund.org.uk

Online Resource and Utilities

Turn2Us is a useful online resource for benefits and grants advice.  They also offer a grants search that anyone can use if they register first.  Their website address is:  www.turn2us.org.uk         They also operate a helpline: 0808 802 2000

Most utility companies (gas, electric and water) offer reduced tariffs and discounts to ‘vulnerable households’ and some offer specific Trust Funds to assist with bills is you are struggling to pay.  They may even supply ‘additional assistance’ items such as white goods.  For more information on utility Trust Funds, contact your local advice centre.

Other Sources of Help and Information

I definitely need some help! Where can I get more information?
Specialist information for families with disabled children is available from the Contact a Family Helpline on 0808 808 5555.  Their website address is: www.cafamily.org.uk
Other help may be available from:

  • Citizens Advice Bureaux (CABx).  You can find your local bureau at the Citizens Advice website, www.citizensadvice.org.uk (England and Wales) or www.cas.org.uk (Scotland)
  • Local authority welfare rights services – check with your local council
  • Law Centres.  You can check the location of your local law centre at www.lawcentres.org.uk
  • Other independent advice centres.  You can usually find details of these in the phone book under ‘advice’ or ‘community’.
  • Phone advice (and lists of local services in your area) is also available from Community Legal Advice on 0845 345 4345.  Their website address is: www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk
  • If you have sought local help for your enquiry but need further advice, please contact SOFT through the Contact SOFT box. 
  • Currently 5 out of 5 Stars.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Rating: 5/5 (1 votes cast)

Thank you for rating!

You have already rated this page, you can only rate it once!

Your rating has been changed, thanks for rating!

Log in or create a user account to rate this page.